[Released] Super Mario Bros. X by 38A v. 1.4.4 - Patch 2

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, TepigFan101, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #41by Lx Xzit » 3 Mar 2016, 22:43

greendan wrote:I have a problem with the moving layers. I tested my level from 1.3.0.1 in 1.4.2 and the layers are not moving. In 1.3.0.1 I didn't have this problem. Please help!

In SMBX 1.4.2 the layer movements works different than SMBX 1.3. Verify these three things:
  • If you made the layer movements using SMBX 1.3 editor you could have some issues, I'd recommend use SMBX 1.4.2 editor itself.
  • Verify you didn't use comma for decimal numbers (as you may know, in some countries, we use comma for decimal numbers) you must use points instead of commas.
  • The correct way to make a layer movement is this:
    Spoiler
    Once you've assign a value of the vertical or horizontal speed and after you've assign a layer for the level, click on "add" verify all the events looks like this.Image
Hope it helps!

Added after 7 hours 7 minutes:
Someone recently told me can't get play SMBX 1.4.2. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't find any info of this error.

ImageImage

This only happens in SMBX 1.4.2, he told he SMBX 1.4.1 works fine.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #42by Yoshi021 » 6 Mar 2016, 21:54

Did he get the hotfix?
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen
franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen

Post #43by franklingalaxy » 11 Mar 2016, 13:31

Hey guys, can anyone explain to me how to replace the MP3 Music from older versions in SMBX 1.4.2 to Standard music? I don't want these MIDI and SPC files! Pls ANYONE help

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #44by Wohlstand » 11 Mar 2016, 15:57

franklingalaxy wrote:Hey guys, can anyone explain to me how to replace the MP3 Music from older versions in SMBX 1.4.2 to Standard music? I don't want these MIDI and SPC files! Pls ANYONE help
Are you used a customized music pack? For your case 5438A38A would implement support of music.ini and sounds.ini files (like in the PGE Engine and in the LunaLUA-SMBX) to allow global/episode/level customization of musics and sounds (anyway, 5438A38A already made support of per-episode customization of sounds with special dialog for that). music.ini/sounds.ini allows you to use any musics and sounds instead of pre-defined.

My explanation why are default MP3's are replaced with SPC's and MIDIs?

Reason 1: Total size of archive. With MP3's of BAD quality size of archive is 40~80 MB, with MP3's of HIGH quality size of archive is ~240 MB). With SPC/MIDI music total size of archive is 19 MB!
Reason 2: Quality. High compression level MP3's are has VERY bad quality ("Toilet" quality). For comparison, 16-bit stereo raw audio data with 44100 hz sample rate in 1 min. has 10584000 bytes (~10,1 MB), therefore used a compression formats (MP3/OGG/FLAC/etc.) to reduce it's size. OGG is much better replacement of MP3 as audio data compression format because provides higher quality with smaller size than MP3 of similar compression level.
SPC file contains ADPCM samples and ASM code of "how play music". Every MIDI file contains a notes data. Every SPC file has 64 KB (because it's a memory dump of Sony SPC700 chip). MIDI files are can have any number of notes data. Usually MIDI files are has 8~80 KB size, but if you want, you can put more notes (for example, I know a MIDI file with 1 hour of music and it has 1 MB size!). SPC and MIDI are has NO audio data. Instead there are contains a rules WHICH audio data needed to generate in real time. SPC's are playing on special SPC700 emulator which executes SPC ASM code and generates audio data. MIDI are can have different sound in different synthesisers and audio cards. In modern Windows most used is software WaveTable synthesiser named as "MS Sound Convas" which uses a "Roland Sound Convas" bank. In some cases are lots of SF2-based software synthesisers (for example, BASSMIDI). WaveTable synthesiser (WT) is based on pre-recorded samples mixing. Old sound cards are had Yamaha OPL chips which are implements a Frequency Modulation synthesiser (FM) - a synthesiser which generates music sound with special formulas. ADLMIDI - is a software implementation of FM Synthesis which used in SDL Mixer X. FM Synthesis can generated pure and beutiful sound (but for cases when MIDI file is written correctly and following the GM standard. If MIDI-file follows another standards (XG, GS, KORG, etc.), there are may have troubles with drums if used customized drum channels [any other channels except 10'th channel for drums]).

franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen
franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen

Post #45by franklingalaxy » 11 Mar 2016, 16:29

I dont want to add Custom Music, thats easy, i want to Change the Standard Music (These SPC, OGG and Midi file) Change to my own MP3s! How can i do that? Wheres the Music.ini?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #46by Wohlstand » 11 Mar 2016, 17:28

franklingalaxy wrote:I dont want to add Custom Music, thats easy, i want to Change the Standard Music (These SPC, OGG and Midi file) Change to my own MP3s! How can i do that? Wheres the Music.ini?
Not in SMBX 1.4.x yet, PGE/LunaLUA only.

SPC/OGG/MIDI are SAME standard musics but much better quality and with much smaller size. I see NO reasons to swap back to MP3's. Reason if you altered default musics. Question: Are you replaced default MP3's in music folder? (because hardcoded filenames are changed, mp3's are not detecting yet.)

Anyway, I have a trick which you can apply to alter standard musics set but without music.ini (music.ini need to rename default music name only):
- enable vizibility of file extensions if not enabled (if you see "Filename" only, but must be "Filename.txt")
- rename your MP3's into SPC/OGG/MID (dependent to a new filename). Note: extension of filename is NOT declares a type, declaration of file type is MAGIC NUMBER (some set of first bytes per almost every standardized binary file format). So, if you will rename file, it will still be same as-is.
- try to run SMBX.

franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen
franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen

Post #47by franklingalaxy » 11 Mar 2016, 18:04

@Wohlstand i understand, im not at Home at the Moment, did you tested it already? And is there a SPC Player?

PS: Did Xinput Controllers work? :)

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #48by Wohlstand » 11 Mar 2016, 18:39

franklingalaxy wrote:@Wohlstand i understand, im not at Home at the Moment, did you tested it already? And is there a SPC Player?

PS: Did Xinput Controllers work? :)
PGE MusPlay (already included with PGE, but also available separately http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_builds/PGE_MusPlay/pge-musplay-win32.zip) can play SPC's and many other music formats.

Also, you can use SPC's (even VGM, MIDI, NSF, etc.) from other games in your levels just because pure quality, support of loops and much smaller file size.
Note for NSF files (to choice track number, just add after music filename a suffix "|x", where x - number of track from 0 to n [total tracks in file])

franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen
franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen

Post #49by franklingalaxy » 11 Mar 2016, 20:57

@wohlstand i renamed my .mp3 to .spc and it dont works :( is there a converter or something like this?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #50by Wohlstand » 12 Mar 2016, 4:25

franklingalaxy wrote:@wohlstand i renamed my .mp3 to .spc and it dont works :( is there a converter or something like this?
SPC is NOT audiodata like WAV/OGG/FLAC/MP3, so, possible to record generated by SPC data, but generate SPC from audio data is impossible if human will not make it from scratch

Yave Yu M
Duke
Duke
Yave Yu M
Duke
Duke
Website

Post #51by Yave Yu » 12 Mar 2016, 5:31

Wohlstand, for expansion chip of NSF, FDS, MMC5 and VRC7 are not supported...can you made it support?
Visit my YouTube channel Yave Yu!

franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen
franklingalaxy
Citizen
Citizen

Post #52by franklingalaxy » 12 Mar 2016, 11:31

@Wohlstand than please make Music.ini and Sound.ini Support in 1.4.3 or a patch for this. Or tell me another way to replace Standard .spc files with mp3s

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #53by Wohlstand » 12 Mar 2016, 13:06

y479021776 wrote:Wohlstand, for expansion chip of NSF, FDS, MMC5 and VRC7 are not supported...can you made it support?
That already supported, SDL Mixer X - library used in SMBX 1.4.2 firstly used in PGE and in LunaLUA-SMBX. Everything supported by that library supported in PGE, LunaLUA-SMBX and SMBX 1.4.2.
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL2_mixer

Vanilla 451 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
Vanilla 451 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
Tencent QQ

Post #54by Vanilla 451 » 14 Mar 2016, 16:45

not bad!

andreepika1336
Our friend
Our friend
andreepika1336
Our friend
Our friend

Post #55by andreepika1336 » 14 Mar 2016, 17:54

What's 5438A38A up to, maybe working on smbx 1.4.3?

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #56by Mikepjr » 15 Mar 2016, 15:43

I can't seem to use custom sound files for my world.
It's in the correct format. It's OGG.
But for some reason custom sounds are just not working.
I tried putting the sound into the world folder... then i tried putting the sound into the level folder... neither works.
Are custom sounds not possible?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #57by Wohlstand » 15 Mar 2016, 16:45

Mikepjr wrote:I can't seem to use custom sound files for my world.
I tried putting the sound into the world folder... then i tried putting the sound into the level folder... neither works.
Are you configured them in the world map editor?

Greendan M
Count
Count
Greendan M
Count
Count
Website Google+ Skype YouTube

Post #58by Greendan » 15 Mar 2016, 23:34

DarkMecha wrote:
greendan wrote:I have a problem with the moving layers. I tested my level from 1.3.0.1 in 1.4.2 and the layers are not moving. In 1.3.0.1 I didn't have this problem. Please help!

In SMBX 1.4.2 the layer movements works different than SMBX 1.3. Verify these three things:
  • If you made the layer movements using SMBX 1.3 editor you could have some issues, I'd recommend use SMBX 1.4.2 editor itself.
  • Verify you didn't use comma for decimal numbers (as you may know, in some countries, we use comma for decimal numbers) you must use points instead of commas.
  • The correct way to make a layer movement is this:
    Spoiler
    Once you've assign a value of the vertical or horizontal speed and after you've assign a layer for the level, click on "add" verify all the events looks like this.Image
Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot! But, then I tried to make a decimal number ( for example 1,5 or 1.5) and clicked ''check'' it showed me ''1''. And when I tested the level, the layer was moving with the same speed as a layer with ''1'' speed. I fixed the moving layers but I still can't make them with a decimal number. Any ideas how to fix it?
Current Project:

Favourite Catchphrase:
You've cat to be kitten me right meow!

I Support:

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #59by Lx Xzit » 15 Mar 2016, 23:59

No problem! You need use points "." instead commas "," for decimal values. There's an error don't let use commas for decimal numbers for now. =P
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #60by Mikepjr » 16 Mar 2016, 4:26

Wohlstand wrote:
Mikepjr wrote:I can't seem to use custom sound files for my world.
Are you configured them in the world map editor?
I did not know that, but i do now.
Thankyou.
Personally i think it would have been better if you could access the SFX menu the level editor as well.

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”