Can I put custom sound effects?

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, TepigFan101, Moderators

9th_core
Topic author, Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
9th_core
Honourable citizen

Post #1by 9th_core » 26 Nov 2016, 13:46

Well, not really "custom", more like "take another sound, put it in the Level Folder and then run the sound, it will be replaced if the custom sound is the name of the normal sound". Whew, those were a lot of words for me to write at once.
If there's no option, then I'm gonna use music and then stop it and play the normal Boss Stage music (I'm making a Warioware-styled level). Btw, can someone give me the "Boss Stage incoming!" sound effect from any Warioware game you desire? Thanks! :)
Edit: I just got myself a Boss Incoming theme. This topic can be closed.
Last edited by 9th_core on 26 Nov 2016, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mushroom King
Duke
Duke
Mushroom King
Duke
Duke

Post #2by Mushroom King » 26 Nov 2016, 13:58

I think you can replace a sound like that, yes, by giving it the same name. Like copying the "coin" sound, rename it like the "rupee" sound and tada! Any rupee in your level will do the same sound as the coin.

9th_core
Honourable citizen
9th_core
Honourable citizen

Post #3by 9th_core » 26 Nov 2016, 14:23

Mushroom King wrote:I think you can replace a sound like that, yes, by giving it the same name. Like copying the "coin" sound, rename it like the "rupee" sound and tada! Any rupee in your level will do the same sound as the coin.

I was unsure because once I made a NES SMB3 level. I tried changing the game over sound to a more nes sound. I changed the name and loaded my level. I died, but the game over sound was still the default one. I checked the length, I cut the length, nothing. I also put the sound in the lvl folder before, so don't think I missed that step. Thanks!

Mushroom King
Duke
Duke
Mushroom King
Duke
Duke

Post #4by Mushroom King » 26 Nov 2016, 15:32

Wait, I think I'm wrong. You can't replace that way a sound as easily you can do with a sprite. It's more complicated, but not impossible. Well, it was not in SMBX 1.3. You needed to create a "sounds.ini" text file and a "sound" folder with the sounds you want to use. I don't remember what you need to put as text in the ini but it exists an episode for SMBX 1.3, "The Last King of Hyrule" doing this. I know it worked for replacing the original sound by Zelda 2 8 bits sounds in this episode. Don't know if it still works if you put the episode in 1.4.
Edit: After some search, look like it was possible in SMBX 1.3 because of Lunadll, and 1.4 don't use Lunadll so I guess it wouldn't works.

9th_core
Honourable citizen
9th_core
Honourable citizen

Post #5by 9th_core » 26 Nov 2016, 16:12

Mushroom King wrote:Wait, I think I'm wrong. You can't replace that way a sound as easily you can do with a sprite. It's more complicated, but not impossible. Well, it was not in SMBX 1.3. You needed to create a "sounds.ini" text file and a "sound" folder with the sounds you want to use. I don't remember what you need to put as text in the ini but it exists an episode for SMBX 1.3, "The Last King of Hyrule" doing this. I know it worked for replacing the original sound by Zelda 2 8 bits sounds in this episode. Don't know if it still works if you put the episode in 1.4.
Edit: After some search, look like it was possible in SMBX 1.3 because of Lunadll, and 1.4 don't use Lunadll so I guess it wouldn't works.
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #6by Alvespires » 26 Nov 2016, 23:22

Actually,in 1.4.2+ you can add custom sounds in World Map,and will only work when opening the game,not in level editor,and will work for ALL levels.
"This giant fish is a mouth breeder, so it spits babies out of its mouth at Mario." - Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for Super Mario Bros. 3, page 9.

I support:

Catskart M
Count
Count
Catskart M
Count
Count

Post #7by Catskart » 27 Nov 2016, 1:55

It works in level editor too.

Mushroom King
Duke
Duke
Mushroom King
Duke
Duke

Post #8by Mushroom King » 27 Nov 2016, 2:41

So how we make the replacement? Like, if I want to change the sound of Birdo when spitting his egg in my level/episode only, what must be done?

9th_core
Honourable citizen
9th_core
Honourable citizen

Post #9by 9th_core » 27 Nov 2016, 8:47

I did it, guys. I just did with music. Anyway, thanks a lot because you took the time to answer! :)

Eri7 M
Count
Count
Eri7 M
Count
Count

Post #10by Eri7 » 28 Mar 2017, 14:47

Now you can put custom sounds for episode AND FOR LEVELS!
You can change the custom sounds in levels and in the world map.
A very interesting international student!
Check my project!
You should check out this project too!

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”