Why OpenGL 3?

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #1by Apple2 » 7 Apr 2016, 20:24

Why does it have to be OpenGL 3?

Minecraft runs perfectly fine with OpenGL 2.1, and PGE ist just a 2D Platformer. Why is there a need for OpenGL 3 that will rule out People without new PCs? I don't get it. I was so close on donating with Patreon, but now I can't afford that anymore.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 7 Apr 2016, 21:03

Sorry for this inconvenience, but don't worry: recently I made modules system to allow customizing of the render modules, so, next update I'll fix that and you (and other sad people with old video card) are will be able to play PGE Engine again. Also this system will allow play PGE Engine on OpenGL-less computers with using of software render (that a backup module which will be used for case when impossible to use OpenGL).

OpenGL 3/4 are has good API for shaders to allow game makers do various wonderful effects. I wasn't used it yet, but I plan for that. Therefore PGE is going to be not only for a simple games: will be possible to do various advanced stuff too ;-)
Anyway, to don't break compatibility, those things for older OpenGL's and for software version are will be limited, but be still available.

Also, LunaLUA-SMBX uses OpenGL 3 too, but for case if impossible to use it, GDI mode automatically enables.

Note: Because OpenGL 2 specification is not supported on Android which uses OpenGL ES, based on OpenGL 3 (because Android version of PGE Engine is planned), therefore OpenGL 3 is needed for that. Anyway, for Android builds I'll disable building of OpenGL 2 module because unsupported. Desktop versions are will have that.

Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #3by Apple2 » 7 Apr 2016, 21:33

Wohlstand wrote:Sorry for this inconvenience, but don't worry: recently I made modules system to allow customizing of the render modules, so, next update I'll fix that and you (and other sad people with old video card) are will be able to play PGE Engine again. Also this system will allow play PGE Engine on OpenGL-less computers with using of software render (that a backup module which will be used for case when impossible to use OpenGL).

I'm very glad to hear that! Thanks a lot =)

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 8 Apr 2016, 1:13

I finally made experimental ability to use OpenGL 2 when OpenGL 3 fails to load:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PGE-Projec ... f6c40b091759664108c8e54648b81e
You can try to download experimental build from laboratory when it will be built ;-)
Same change must also fix starting of engine on OS X (where it no more works since OpenGL 3.1 update, because I used deprecated functions which are removed on OS X, because that gave GL 3.2 instead 3.1)

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #5by Wohlstand » 28 Apr 2016, 23:24

Another good news:
PGE Engine now supports 3 render drivers:
- OpenGL 3 (by default, disabled on OS X)
- OpenGL 2 (reserved if GL 3 test fails, default on OS X, disabled on Android)
- Software (reserved if both GL 3 and GL 2 are fails)

And also command line arguments to test specific rendering driver independent to default rendering stuff: --render-gl3, --render-gl2, --render-sw

Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Apple2
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Great!

Post #6by Apple2 » 4 Jun 2016, 12:56

Awesome! Can I somehow donate without Patreon? Due to my finances are sometimes better and sometimes worse, I'd prefer a one-time payment when I can afford it.

Also, when I try to configure the Controls, I can't add the direction buttons of my controller. Is there a way to fix this?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #7by Wohlstand » 4 Jun 2016, 13:54

Apple2 wrote:Awesome! Can I somehow donate without Patreon? Due to my finances are sometimes better and sometimes worse, I'd prefer a one-time payment when I can afford it.
Yes, you can ;-) (I'll PM list of all my payment things)

Apple2 wrote:Also, when I try to configure the Controls, I can't add the direction buttons of my controller. Is there a way to fix this?
Try to use a mouse to click necessary control button then while you see "...", press any joystick key to catch it

Return to “Engine Development”