How you can help

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #1by Wohlstand » 2 Apr 2014, 9:33

Hello, as our project started growing quickly enough, I am going to write in detail of some things you could do to support this project:

Engine Developing

Alpha-testing :beta:
You can download the compiled application, or download the latest sources and build. If the applications you test have any bugs, please report them so that I can fix them.
If you have any ideas or suggestions for improvement, please feel free to share them with us.

Sources: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project
How to build PGE: ( :tux: , :windows: , :apple: ) http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Building_of_PGE_From_sources
My laboratory - experimental builds ( :tux: , :windows: , :apple: ): http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/
Development news topic: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=74

Developing :drilling:
If you know how to program in the required (computer)languages, you could help me with developing applications. You could make edits in existing sources and write new functions and send it to me so I could test/add them.
Currently, the project uses the C++ Programming Language (MinGW for Windows and GCC for Linux) and the Qt 5 library.

Translating PGE Project into other languages :english: :hi: :mamba: :buda_phone: :drinks: :big_boss:
PGE Project is international project and has multi-language support. You also can contribute with making translation for your native language!
Here is a detail guide for translating of PGE with hints and useful links.

Creating new content to avoid usage Nintendo copyright content which used in legacy SMBX Engine
The first release version of engine project will require, with the default game/episodes, that the content is licensed under Creative Commons or must not violate any copyrights. PGE unlike legacy SMBX Engine is designed to create any game of genre from scratch. Default configuration pack must be ready to be as big example for beginner game creators. You can get working version of configuration pack and contribute to it here: https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Default. Exists configuration packs such as "A2XT", 'SM Redrawn", "SMBX 1.3 Compatible" will be kept to provide full compatibility layer with old SMBX-based games and episodes, and new PGE-specific config packs which will be successors of those config packs will be developed as separated independent projects which I will support myself and will be supported by community.

Creating new characters and their stories/history :elf: :dwarf: :orc: :wizard:
You could write your own characters for new games (playable, or NPCs), write their history, or improve the existing characters/history. You can also help with drawing new sprites for the playable/np characters.

Character forum: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Creating new graphics :paint: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:
We could use help with drawing new graphics, feel free to share them us. But I will add it in the engine release, only if it is under the CC (Creative Commons) or a license that allows us to use it in the engine. Don't forget about copyrights.

Graphics topic http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

Creating new music :rockband:
If you have any Creative Common licensed music collection, or if you are the original composer (and release it under a Creative Commons license), you could share your music with us, and we might use it in our episodes.

Music forum: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

Forum job :to_keep_order: :king: :jester: :butcher:
You can help us with forum protection and keeping order/maintenance on it.
It means you can join the moderators staff, and patrol the forum at any convenient time.

Currently NOT looking for staff!

Other
Please feel free to send me any ideas which you think can be used for this project's improvement.
Any help is very welcome, and is going to help this project. :tux:
Last edited by Wohlstand on 2 Apr 2014, 19:34, edited 4 times in total.

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #2by CaptainSwag101 » 2 Apr 2014, 19:09

Wohlstand wrote:Creation of new content for replacing copyright Nintendo's content, used in SMBX
For the first release version of the engine, with the default game/episodes, all content will have to be licensed under Creative Commons or must not violate any copyrights.
Just as a side note, I believe Redigit announced that he faked the copyright call from Nintendo, but I will follow this rule nonetheless.
--The Captain of Swag

Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor
Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #3by Luigifan2010 » 4 Apr 2014, 0:02

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Just as a side note, I believe Redigit announced that he faked the copyright call from Nintendo, but I will follow this rule nonetheless.

Even if he did fake it, the primary reason for him having gotten it (if he did) was because he did have some ads and such on the site and the installer so he was of course, making some revenue off of it which Nintendo didn't like.

Also Wohl, does this use the standard SMBX graphics format?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 4 Apr 2014, 2:07

Luigifan2010 wrote:Also Wohl, does this use the standard SMBX graphics format?
Yes, all graphics is from SMBX without changes, but, I sorted them in folders it (by level, by world, and playable characters). You can change system image folders into configs/SMBX/main.ini file to classic SMBX image paths.

for example:

Code: Select all

[main]
worlds = "worlds" ;Worlds folder

music = "data/music" ;Music folder
sound = "data/sound" ;Sound folder

;Sorted graphics paths
graphics-level="data/graphics/level" ;Level graphics folder
graphics-worldmap="data/graphics/worldmap" ;Worldmap graphic folder
graphics-characters="data/graphics/characters" ;Playble character graphivs folder

custom-data="data-custom" ;Custom data path

[main]

;Classic SMBX graphics paths
graphics-level="data/graphics"
graphics-worldmap="data/graphics"
graphics-characters="data/graphics"

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #5by CaptainSwag101 » 4 Apr 2014, 2:10

Is there any way to make the editor load custom graphics from a folder with the same name as the level you're editing, like SMBX?

Added after 26 minutes 16 seconds:
Also, does the NPC Config called "DontHurt" mean that the NPC does not hurt the player, or does it mean that the player cannot hurt the NPC?
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #6by Wohlstand » 4 Apr 2014, 3:03

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Is there any way to make the editor load custom graphics from a folder with the same name as the level you're editing, like SMBX?
Yes, custom graphics support like SMBX :wink:
User's graphics loading from folder with same LVL-file name (Level's local) AND from the same folder, where placed LVL-file (Episode global).

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Also, does the NPC Config called "DontHurt" mean that the NPC does not hurt the player, or does it mean that the player cannot hurt the NPC?
It means that NCP doesn't hurt the player

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #7by CaptainSwag101 » 4 Apr 2014, 3:18

If I wanted to apply to become a forums moderator, where should I post my request? (P.S. I apologize for making so many posts on this board, I'm just really excited by this project lol :wink: )
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #8by Wohlstand » 4 Apr 2014, 12:23

CaptainSwag101 wrote:If I wanted to apply to become a forums moderator, where should I post my request? (P.S. I apologize for making so many posts on this board, I'm just really excited by this project lol :wink: )
You can send PM to me, and I will accept you as moderator.
Note: Be very attentive and vigilant. If you have any doubts/questions about anything: ask me or h2643, or another moderator.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #9by Veudekato » 4 Apr 2014, 20:06

i will help many ( i think).
Wohlstand wrote:or another moderator
and me :biggrin:
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor
Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #10by Luigifan2010 » 5 Apr 2014, 4:48

Wohlstand wrote:Yes, all graphics is from SMBX without changes, but, I sorted them in folders it (by level, by world, and playable characters). You can change system image folders into configs/SMBX/main.ini file to classic SMBX image paths.

for example:

[main]

;Sorted graphics paths
graphics-level="data/graphics/level" ;Level graphics folder
graphics-worldmap="data/graphics/worldmap" ;Worldmap graphic folder
graphics-characters="data/graphics/characters" ;Playble character graphivs folder

Just look a look at that GitHub link, I'm seeing how everything looks so customisable and I see soooo much potential for this. You're a genius Wohl ;)

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #11by CaptainSwag101 » 5 Apr 2014, 5:25

Yeah, I've seen a lot of SMBX remake attempts come and go, but there's definitely something special about this one. I think this might be the one that has the sort of magic that SMBX brought
--The Captain of Swag

Return to “Engine Development”