PGE Online Downloader v0.2 - Available for download and feedback!

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

tb1024 M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis

Post #1by tb1024 » 24 Dec 2014, 5:26

Hello! Some of you may know it, some may not. It is my online installer for PGE. Although the last update was months old, this new installer features some changes and is in compliance of the structure of PGE Beta.

Some stuff to know:
Why didn't you update it sooner?
First of all, I had to rewrite it entirely. And I took weeks to figure out this need.

How could this be different from Wind's installer?
First of all, Wind wrote an offline installer. The files are bundled in and you download them along it, knowing it or not. This one is an online installer; the file size is smaller and uses internet connection to download and extract the files for you. It is actually its purpose: it does the tasks for you while you're doing your stuff. The "downloader" is a more realistic name. Don't worry, the zips are deleted once they're extracted; saving time and disk space.

Ahem...let me present you the:
PGE Online Downloader

First launched in September 2014, the PGE Online Downloader is a handy tool designed to download and extract PGE in background. A simple next-next-next-wait, and meanwhile do other things-finish installation. PGE would reach its beta in October, and PGEOD wouldn't be updated since to comply with the new structure.

I tried to fix the original code, but I was mostly lost because of the lack of organization. This day, I decided to rewrite PGEOD entirely. I took the entire morning to end the code, and took the afternoon and evening to fix bugs. It should now work flawlessly. And it has the WohlStand Seal of Approval. Ask him if you don't believe me.

As I told earlier, this will be different from Wind's installer, as it will be online; therefore it will always download the latest build without need of updates, unless the structure of folders and files is changed. However, you'll need an internet connection.

Download it!
Grab the Source Code!

License (Read before modifying)
Copyright (c) 2014, tb1024 (already reserving the copyright so nobody steals it when I'm 18)

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

Screenshots
Last edited by Wohlstand on 27 Mar 2015, 2:50, edited 1 time in total.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 10 Jan 2015, 12:29

Serious bug was fixed:
Lines 138...141:

Code: Select all

;Add PATH variables
ReadRegStr $0 HKLM "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" 'Path'
StrCpy $1 "$0;$INSTDIR"
WriteRegStr HKLM "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" 'Path' $1

Because this bug was, it fully overwrites the PATH environment variable instead of appending to end of them

IF SOMEONE lose "PATH" variable from this bug, the solution is:
Open "Control Panel" -> "System" -> "Additional Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Environment variables" and find PATH variable in "System variables" list. Double click it to edit and paste this fragment (or overwrite): and save settings. When reboot your PC

Code: Select all

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

Also I made minor fixes:
  • Fixed file association
  • Start menu icons enabled by default, desktop icon disabled by default

Fixed source:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/pge-online-downloader_src.zip (with icon and splash image)

Fixed installer:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/pge-online-downloader.exe

P.S. If you puts any files (icon, splash image) together with NSI script, you can use RELATIVE paths ;-)

EDIT:
Another update:
  • Added remembering of last installation path which helps you to use them for updates grabbing (I think, you need also remember the installed components too)
  • Fixed spam of "path" variable: if path already added, it will not be added secondary

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #3by Wohlstand » 9 Oct 2016, 21:23

Okay, now installer's code is stored here:
https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project/tree/master/_Misc/dev_scripts/deploy/nsis
Now I have two versions of it: for stable and for laboratory releases with different splashes to don't confuse which downloads latest or laboratory.

Return to “Engine Development”