Suggestions for editing features

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #21by Wohlstand » 8 Sep 2014, 0:20

tb1024 wrote:Huh...So we should make Black and White graphics and PGE should be capable of replacing BW by other colors?
Nice idea.
I wanna add pallete system as useful feature for recoloring. Hedgewars using this feature in hats:
you have a hat sprite of hat with gray scaled fragments, and this hat will have same color which selected to team where this hedgehog is.
For example:
punks and moto hemlet:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/690?page=9#comment-28092

I wanna make this:
you have ONE imagesprite, but in the INI file of NPC (for example) you can set:

Code: Select all

[npc-345]
image="punk.png"
pallete="punk1.pallete.ini"

[npc-346]
image="punk.png"
pallete="punk2.pallete.ini"

[npc-347]
image="punk.png"
pallete="punk3.pallete.ini"

etc...

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #22by sky2 » 8 Sep 2014, 0:43

Yeah, something like that. Graphics with grayscale hue, and you're able to change any of the gray shade to any color you want. It will save time spent on replacing every graphic just to make recolored tileset, and, as I said, it can be linked with that internal editor.
For example, there would be a global palette editor, for changing colors in the whole config/episode, and level palette editor, which will only change colors on specific level.
So basically, a default SMBX-Extended config will use only grayscale images. But they are colorised ingame because of the palettes, which would be fully configurable, and able to save to file (something like "snow.pal" or "night.pal") and load on another level. Of course this needs much researching and planning to make it fit with the internal gfx editor mentioned by Squishy Rex, but it will be nice to see it implemented.

Palettes are my idea, internal editor is Squishy Rex's idea, but I think connecting these will make more functional and customizable internal gfx editor.
Poof!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #23by Wohlstand » 8 Sep 2014, 1:14

sky2 wrote:Yeah, something like that. Graphics with grayscale hue, and you're able to change any of the gray shade to any color you want. It will save time spent on replacing every graphic just to make recolored tileset, and, as I said, it can be linked with that internal editor.
For example, there would be a global palette editor, for changing colors in the whole config/episode, and level palette editor, which will only change colors on specific level.
So basically, a default SMBX-Extended config will use only grayscale images. But they are colorised ingame because of the palettes, which would be fully configurable, and able to save to file (something like "snow.pal" or "night.pal") and load on another level. Of course this needs much researching and planning to make it fit with the internal gfx editor mentioned by Squishy Rex, but it will be nice to see it implemented.

Palettes are my idea, internal editor is Squishy Rex's idea, but I think connecting these will make more functional and customizable internal gfx editor.
In the config will be mixing: colored sprites and sprites with palletes using. Also, I think to use palletes and for recoloring without replacing exists image. I.e you selecting color on the sprite and this color will be repainted while GFX is initializing.

And I have ables to made pallete system now, it is easy:
pallete is a list of original colors and colors which will be replaced, or definition of color range (replace gray-scaled into something shade, etc.).
Pallete creator I think, will make with capturing colors from original image for easy getting of colors for replace.
Pallete will be applied while image for this item is loading:
- because I made mask system, I have some internal image converter which creating target image into ram and this image is displaying on screen.
- I can add "pallete applyin" into this converter, and into the RAM will be loaded the recolored by pallete image.

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #24by sky2 » 8 Sep 2014, 1:20

Ehh, Wohlstand, you ninja'd me! xD

It's nice to heard making palette system is easy. As I mentioned before, there should be a palette file/config, just to save this palette, for example as forest.ini and then load it in another level. Unless you actually said this, because it's so late now and tommorow I'm going to school, so I probably don't think effectively (it's 23:20 in my country).
Poof!

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #25by mariofan 64 » 25 Nov 2015, 4:00

The suggestions are a ded thread...

What I would like to see is the layers, if hidden, be mostly transparent, but still can be seen, or a special outline for hidden layers.
Another more awesome suggestion is to test events without opening the engine, and see the editor do the events all at once, or individual events with events that are attached to those events. With the upcoming PGE-Specific events coming, it would be more than handy.
This may be both engine/editor, but rotating graphics currently uses multiple graphics. If a single graphic can be used to have a rotating graphic, the properties would change as well, such as slope, block, or a wall, all using a single image instead of memory/cpu consuming many images. It's not just Mario that utilized it, it's a whole bunch that do it. Not following in their footsteps makes the whole thing odd.
That's it for the night.
Current Projects: (Infinite Mario Bros: 0.16%)
(Super-Project Completion: 0.001% Complete. pls don't ask about it)
Youtube Status: MIA

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #26by Sambo » 23 Dec 2015, 3:01

There is a feature that allows you to use music.ini and sound.ini on a per level/world basis. I think it would be good to have other configurations work this way. For instance, if you want to change a BGO's sorting array priority in SMBX (or even, possibly, the size), you could just add a BGO.ini in your level's folder with the changed values.
Current Project:

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #27by mariofan 64 » 23 Dec 2015, 5:07

I'd rather everything be using a txt file as opposed to an ini file for consumer usage, as many will want everything to be customizable as possible, and a txt file can work for beginners, and the ini file can be for advanced users. Anything similar to the NPC editor is great, because almost all of the information is there, except lua-script file area, where you can specify how the NPC behaves.
Another thing unrelated to txts or ini is multiple world maps and the concept of turning on/off the lives counter shown at the beginning of each level. If people want to do an SMB2 episode with entering doors and autosaving, that's important so as to create more than on level using only a single section, but also using as many graphics as you want without using a limited number, i.e. 1-1 featured 5 'levels' that were connected as one, and as such, each time you went through a door, it autosaved and you started back there if you died/lost.
Engine side: Level/World tickbox for allowing for recurring NPCs? Unless layers/events happen, any normal NPC that isn't a coin/powerup should come back, like in some adventuring games, only the NPCs don't warp back, they simply appear as if they've never been defeated.
Sambo: He already has plans for every configuration, even for the camera.
Current Projects: (Infinite Mario Bros: 0.16%)
(Super-Project Completion: 0.001% Complete. pls don't ask about it)
Youtube Status: MIA

Return to “Engine Development”