Events as in Construct2/GameDevelop/MMF2 events, not as in source code!

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #1by darkhog » 10 Aug 2014, 13:20

I think it would be good (and easier for newcomers) if NPCs and other stuff would be coded like in Construct2. This would make for faster iteration as it is really hard to make syntax error with visual programming and it is generally faster - even child could use it and I think it's important to note that we probably want this tool to be as widespread as possible.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #2by Veudekato » 10 Aug 2014, 13:22

and , cant i ask, how npc coded in Construct2?
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #3by darkhog » 10 Aug 2014, 13:30

They aren't. Construct2 is general-use game creation tool (i.e. not tied to any particular genre). Just download it, it has free version that will show you it. Or better, download Game Develop, free and open source game making tool to see it. It is very easy to use system, much easier than writing code in notepad.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 10 Aug 2014, 13:40

darkhog, Good idea, I think to make the NPC Debug tool and tiny code constructor, which will help you for create the npc's code and test npc in the debugger. Debugger will have event emulator and tests of detectors. For example, by mouse click set "player's position" and test movement algorithm of the NPC and reaction on the environment and contacts with other objects, etc. If NPC is flying, it will not have the gravity, but you can program movement style. For example, parakoopas moving horizontal by sine path. If parakoopa is chasing, it will fly to the player's position by x-y coordinates. But, it will turn with acceleration/deceleration of speed, and its vector always directed to a player's position. Also, playable character coordinated will be captured from nearly playable character in the multilayer mode.

darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
darkhog
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #5by darkhog » 10 Aug 2014, 20:39

I'm OK with that. But by no means go after something like Game Maker's DnD events. Those are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

I think it would be cool if you'd download Game Develop (http://compilgames.net) and examine how it is done there. I think GD is golden standard of well-made visual scripting/event system out there, even if tool isn't very well known. Best event system I've ever seen.

Return to “Engine Development”