Widescreen support, and current state of the Engine

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderator: Moderators

telequillo
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
telequillo
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #1by telequillo » 7 Jan 2017, 9:18

Hello there,

First of all thank you for all the effort in this project. I have been playing around with the editor a bit and so far I find it easy to build the levels (I have never tried SMBX editor, so I can't compare, but I feel comfortable so far with PGE).

My questions are about the engine, not with the editor:
- I always thought that 2D platformer games are the ones that benefit the most with widescreens, because a problem in some of these games (specially in Sonic games, due to the speed the character moves) is that you can't see what is coming next and sometimes you have to blindly jump, or an enemy kills you not because you are bad player just because you didn't see it coming!.
So I would love to be able to play SMBX (and other PGE made games) in widescreen. Do you think it would be possible to ever has this option?

- How playable can the games for SMBX 1.3 be, with the current version of the Engine. I read that it is incomplete, and it is in alpha, but so far it plays very well. I did notice that you can't hold the turtles shell after jumping on them, so that would be something that is not yet implemented. Should I just play the games with the old SMBX 1.3 program until PGE is more mature?

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #2by Yoshi021 » 7 Jan 2017, 19:30

- How playable can the games for SMBX 1.3 be, with the current version of the Engine. I read that it is incomplete, and it is in alpha, but so far it plays very well. I did notice that you can't hold the turtles shell after jumping on them, so that would be something that is not yet implemented. Should I just play the games with the old SMBX 1.3 program until PGE is more mature?

If you want to test a level you made in SMBX, then you should not use the Alpha engine. Use the alpha engine if you want to help or you want to see the progress of the engine.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #3by Wohlstand » 7 Jan 2017, 20:09

PGE Engine supports wide screens. Unlike the legacy engine, it keeps aspect ratio when you changing a size of window or toggling full screen and window modes (Ctrl+F key combo). At now are supported fixed-size screens, but is planned to provide an ability to have a support for non-scalable screens of any size, and level content will have the same resolution, but the visible area will be changed dependent on window size.

Yoshi021 wrote:If you want to test a level you made in SMBX, then you should not use the Alpha engine. Use the alpha engine if you want to help or you want to see the progress of the engine.
He just asked about the engine itself, about targeting levels to legacy engine PGE Editor already has a notification on the attempt to start the test in the PGE Engine.

telequillo
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
telequillo
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #4by telequillo » 8 Jan 2017, 12:29

Thanks for your answers :)

Wohlstand wrote:... but the visible area will be changed dependent on window size.

This is exactly what I meant. Right now it is truth that is working perfectly on a 16:9 screen and keeping aspect ratio, which wasn't done on SMBX, but my question was if we will ever be able to use the whole screen, so having more visible area instead of the black borders https://app.box.com/s/ipj4tslxxi1zwck4muinee72y2ne9nrt. If this is implemented will also work in all existing SMBX episodes or only in new games developed with PGE Editor?

Here are another 2 small questions if you have the time:
- In SMBX, with my XBOX 360 gamepad, I can use either the d-pad or the left thumbstick to move the characters. In PGE Engine i have to choose either one of those 2 options. This is just small detail but I think it is useful sometimes to be able to switch between digital and analog controller to move the character around, without having to mess with the configurations (it works like this in many games, although not all).
- I remember from old times playing Super Mario World in Snes, that in the worldmap you were able to move the view around the whole map (not moving mario, moving just the view to see what is around). That or even zooming out the view could be interesting features to have that were not available on SMBX, what do you think of those?

Cheers.

Return to “Engine Development”