Development news thread (Editor 0.3.1.13, Engine 0.3-alpha)

Description: Storage for Sources, File Format Descriptions, Objects tables, algorithms, schemes, etc. (Answering only)
Moderator: Moderators

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #81by Veudekato » 7 Sep 2014, 12:37

oh,miracle . This is best programm i ever seen in SMBX , no more words. :beta: :guard:
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #82by Christian07 » 7 Sep 2014, 18:50

Veudekato wrote:oh,miracle . This is best programm i ever seen in SMBX , no more words. :beta: :guard:

Isn't SMBX a program aswell?
Anyways, glad to see PGE out.

ImperatoreXx M
Our friend
Our friend
ImperatoreXx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #83by ImperatoreXx » 7 Sep 2014, 19:10

Good evening community!
Woshland you did a great job! Great job!
I hope to see the engine as soon as possible!

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Middle mouse button features

Post #84by Wohlstand » 7 Sep 2014, 22:47

Middle mouse button features
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Pu0MQKdxE

To enable these features open the [Tools -> Application] settings menu and open the "Editing" tab.
Duplicated items will be placed relative to left-top corner under mouse cursor

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #85by tb1024 » 12 Sep 2014, 21:00

When are you going to start the development of the engine?
Is the engine planned already?
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #86by Wohlstand » 12 Sep 2014, 21:01

tb1024 wrote:When are you going to start the development of the engine?
Is the engine planned already?

I should to fix some issues in the editor before start engine part. Yes, Engine is planned ;-)

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #87by Veudekato » 13 Sep 2014, 12:25

Christian07 wrote:
Veudekato wrote:oh,miracle . This is best programm i ever seen in SMBX , no more words. :beta: :guard:

Isn't SMBX a program aswell?
Anyways, glad to see PGE out.

i meaning FOR SMBX.
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #88by Mikepjr » 13 Sep 2014, 15:12

So stop and correct me if i am wrong, but if something is in Beta.. does that not mean it's getting closer to an official release?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #89by Wohlstand » 13 Sep 2014, 15:16

Mikepjr wrote:So stop and correct me if i am wrong, but if something is in Beta.. does that not mean it's getting closer to an official release?
Yea, Editor is closer to release, but it is part of project. Project version IS NOT application version. because project have multiple applications. First - is an editor, and second - engine part, and third - useful tools

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #90by sky2 » 13 Sep 2014, 15:21

Mikepjr wrote:So stop and correct me if i am wrong, but if something is in Beta.. does that not mean it's getting closer to an official release?

I don't know, but first there's some like Test 0.0.0.1 or something. Then it goes to unstable Alpha, and when it acquire many functions it turns into Beta, which is almost final but uncomplete product. When it's about to be released, it's something like "Pre-release" or "Release Candicate". After fixing all bugs, it turns to "Full" or "Release" version. Updates are less often than before, but the game is still being updated adding small things and bugfixes.

Also, Editor is in Beta, but Engine haven't started yet. I think after getting Engine to beta, project will focus on both Editor and Engine.
Poof!

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #91by Mikepjr » 14 Sep 2014, 8:14

Ah i see.
I was only curious.

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #92by sky2 » 15 Sep 2014, 0:33

No problem. As now there is editor, Wohlstand and other developers can focus on engine adding new functions, abilities to modify the "game" somehow. (:
Poof!

Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor
Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #93by Luigifan2010 » 15 Sep 2014, 18:04

Something else I'm curious about, what exactly do you need to get the OS X version running? I tried running in a VM yesterday under 10.8.3 and it mentioned something about a library not being loaded (QtMultimedia iirc). I tried installing Qt but due to me running a slightly older build of Mountain Lion and not being able to update due to the Vm hacks, it didn't exactly complete correctly.

Also, some of the OS X design guidelines state that all the app's resources should be contained within the bundle. I noticed the Unix compatible executable was in Contents>MacOS, maybe the configs, languages, etc should be placed in there too. It's not like its exactly difficult to get into the app bundle, you can literally just right click on the app, and click "Show Package Contents" and you can modify everything.

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #94by CaptainSwag101 » 16 Sep 2014, 0:57

Yes, when I was building the Mac versions for 0.1 Alpha, I had to place all the configs, data, etc. inside the bundle, inside "Contents/MacOS". However, I left the configs in their original locations for the new Beta build, because the folder organization had been changed. It would be easier to tell the editor where the configs were if you could create a QFilePath which was relative to the bundle instead of the executable, but to do that, you have to set the path to "../../../*Config folders*" to manually look outside of the app bundle. However, changing that would break the Windows version, where there is no app bundle.

It's complicated, but to make a long story short, I didn't move the configs for my 0.2 Beta build because I thought it would break everything.
--The Captain of Swag

Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor
Luigifan2010 M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #95by Luigifan2010 » 17 Sep 2014, 0:51

I really do think they should be moved back into Contents/MacOS, like I said previously it complies better with the OS X design guidelines and its not difficult to right click>show package contents. If need be, I'll write a step by step tutorial.

Anyways you can have #ifdef's for MacOS probably, are said QFilePath's defined inside the application? If so then yeah, we could go the #ifdef macos method. Or could these be defined in the plist..?

Anyway what do you have to install to just run it? Because I'm still getting an error about a not loaded library, probably because you're not building static.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #96by Wohlstand » 17 Sep 2014, 1:00

Luigifan2010 wrote:I really do think they should be moved back into Contents/MacOS, like I said previously it complies better with the OS X design guidelines and its not difficult to right click>show package contents. If need be, I'll write a step by step tutorial.

Anyways you can have #ifdef's for MacOS probably, are said QFilePath's defined inside the application? If so then yeah, we could go the #ifdef macos method. Or could these be defined in the plist..?

Anyway what do you have to install to just run it? Because I'm still getting an error about a not loaded library, probably because you're not building static.
To find config directory I was used QApplication::applicationDirPath() method which return the path to the directory where was placed the executable file.
This finding not only "configs" directory: even data directory for some internal graphics and help directory to open the html help in your browser on the F1.

I think, I will add special modifier which will add into applicationPath call the "/../../../" string which should be defined if OS is MacOS.
And, just in case, will add reChecker which will check REAL placement of folders and will calculate configs path accurately (or together with application, or in the ../../../ dir)

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #97by CaptainSwag101 » 17 Sep 2014, 1:06

I haven't had any issues with running the editor, though that may be because I have Qt Creator, etc. installed already, for the obvious reason of compiling the builds, so perhaps you need to install Qt Creator to run the editor, because there isn't really any way to make redistributable Qt libraries like you can for Windows. Also, what do you mean by "building static"?

And of course, I can re-upload the build with the configs, etc. inside the package contents, although moving the files does have to be done manually every time you need to build a clean version of the editor. I'll have to research on how to use preprocessor commands like #ifdef, I'm not very experienced with them, but hopefully I can set something up in the near future.
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #98by Wohlstand » 17 Sep 2014, 1:11

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Also, what do you mean by "building static"
You shuld to download Qt's source codes, unpack them and build them
http://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/ ... re-opensource-src-5.3.2.tar.gz

For example, commands to build on Linux (remove some trash values and change the prefix - is a target Qt's build path)

Code: Select all

./configure -static -release -nomake examples -nomake tools -prefix /opt/Qt-5.3.1_static -qt-xcb -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg -qt-zlib -qt-pcre -opensource -confirm-license -opengl -qt-freetype
make
make install

When you build them, you can create config in the Qt Creator for your static build of the Qt.
This means, you can build application which will don't ask you for library if you haven't installed Qt library package

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #99by CaptainSwag101 » 17 Sep 2014, 1:14

Ah, I see. I will do that when building Mac OS versions from now on :)
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #100by Wohlstand » 17 Sep 2014, 1:16

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Ah, I see. I will do that when building Mac OS versions from now on :)
Oh, because my PC is too slow (AMD Athlon 64, 2.4 Ghz 1-core), I was built full Qt sources for Windows at 12 hours but my server was built same Qt sources but for Linux at 2.5 hours (Server's CPU is AMD A8, 4-cores, 3.6 Ghz) :biggrin:

Return to “Project Resources”